Subject: what up?
Hey Andre, how’ve you been? wotcha been up to? You not remember me, I met a while ago. Leigh Tran.
Subject: Re: what up?
Just hitting balls. I go to Vegas. They throw the balls at me. I hit em as fast as I can. Leigh Tran… name doesn’t ring a bell. Andre.
[Inspired by a conversation the night before about a friend’s high school crush on the ponytailed prince of tennis himself]
COLD OPEN ON:
1. INT. OFFICE TOWER – LOBBY – DAY
Alarm bells ring urgently. Workers stream out in a flurry. Walking into the human stampede is a figure of calm and grace in a gunmetal suit of armour. He steps into an elevator and hits the button for the top floor. He looks up. Surrounded on his rapid ascent are the ghosts of his parents and fallen friends. As fire rages on the passing office floors below him, he prepares for what he thinks will be his final moments – an inevitable sacrifice for the greater good.
Only the elevator continues to rise, past the uppermost floor and it punches through the ceiling. Like a phoenix rising through the ashes, the world is saved from imminent disaster and the building now only smoulders, while our heroic figure continues to rise up into the sky.
2. EXT. A SPANISH COASTAL HAVEN – ESTABLISHING – MIDDAY
A glorious vista of azure waters and deep lush greenery. High up on a cliff, we look down from our leafy vantage onto a shimmering, sparkly protected bay. This is where our hero silent decides to rebuild his sanctuary.
3. INT. DARLING HARBOUR CONVENTION CENTRE – DAY
A confident LEIGH strides into a well attended conference hall. Surrounded by workmates past and present, she joins a table where her consumer products brethren sit, ideating toy concepts for the next hero franchise. She begins to brainstorms, until a message is relayed to her. She has been summoned to review the movie’s new trailer.
We follow her to…
4. INT. MAUS HAUS CORP HQ – CONTINUOUS
She walks into a recording studio set up in a corner office where various instruments and mic stands are scattered around the room.
What are you guys doing?
We’re recording the film score. We’re inspired by native Australian sounds like the didgeridoo!
Eric bangs on the stick, not knowing how to use the instrument properly. Neither does anyone else in the room it seems. Leigh pans around to see that 3 others in the room holding various indigenous instruments like clapsticks & bullroarers but are absolutely clueless with their usage. Instead a cacophony of discordant sounds fills the room and LEIGH hesitantly smiles.
LEIGH (sotto voce)
- Geographer – The Dream Has Faded
- Deloris – Everything Ever
- Brett – Chalon
- Fear of Men – Descent
- Violens – Through the Window
- Taken By Trees – Dreams
- Belle & Sebastian – Dirty Dream Number Two
- Young Liars – U-Dreams
- Mountains In The Sky – Pons
- Vacationer – Dreamlike
- The Glitch Mob – A Dream Within a Dream
- Future Islands – A Dream Of You And Me
- Balam Acab – Dream Out
- Alex is a designer & illustrator currently working for Disney in LA. His mad skills and creative eye means that already he’s been drafted to work on high profile, but super secret projects that he won’t even tell me about.
- His talents might only be bested for a delightful enthusiasm for tasty food and awesome people (y’know, like me), a fact I use to exploit as recompense for his efforts and time with ILMX.
- Visit his website, there you’ll see more of his fine work and a brilliant throwback photo.