They died within hours of each other. Married for over 40 years, it was the deepest, most passionate love that neither thought they’d ever find. Yet until the very moment of their last breath, the flame that drew these two together had never burnt brighter.
Their meeting could only have been the kind of sweet serendipity that true love dictates. How else could they explain the chance encounter that aligned their orbits and eventually became an epicycle of harmony and fluidity?
If she hadn’t shown up early before her lunch date… if he hadn’t taken a wrong turn and walked through the wrong door… if her voice hadn’t carried over the din of other patrons, piquing his interest… they wouldn’t have struck up the conversation that only stopped the day they died.
They came from such different places, both geographically and immanently. She had spent a lifetime up until that point trying to find the place where she belonged. He on the other hand forged through life with such great purpose and determination that success was almost inevitable.
Yet she was the one who centered him, helped focus his myriad interests and sometimes even reigned in his fanciful ambitions for plans more concrete and practical. His energy and vigour renewed her passions, making sure that his bright star never overwhelmed hers.
To all who knew them, it was the greatest love in history.
- Mirah – Engine Heart
- Beach House – D.A.R.L.I.N.G.
- Sparklehorse – Shade and Honey
- Ra Ra Riot – Can You Tell
- The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart – This Love Is Fucking Right
- Saturday Looks Good To Me – Since You Stole My Heart
- True Love Always – Underneath
- James Yuill – This Sweet Love
- Glasser – Treasury Of We
- Yo La Tengo – Our Way To Fall
- Single Twin – Get To Love You
- Arthur Russell – That’s Us/Wild Combination
- Onra – L.O.V.E.
- RAC – We Belong (feat. Katie Herzig)
- Lucy Roleff is an illustrator and writer based in Melbourne, Australia. Raised by a German father and Maltese mother, she maintains a strong sense of tradition, nature and an undying appreciation for craftsmanship and skill.
- Lucy is obsessed with realism, human intimacy, the nuances of modern culture, pencil rendering and cats. It’s her skewed sense of humour in combination with all of the above that drew me to her work after discovering her through mutual friends, for whom she had designed gig posters.
- Lucy’s also a talented musician whose new band (with Alex Badham, ex-Aleks and the Ramps) has just released their debut album. It’s quite lovely, and of course, the album cover is another fine snapshot of life from Lucy.